Friday, May 7, 2010

a little cold never hurt nobody...


pictured: getting excited at ice cream delivery in the countryside / rachel with ice cream pack of 36!

the other night after another round of 'exquisite corpse', a sound familiar to all kids - yet unfamiliar in the countryside - came 'round these parts. it was the ice cream truck! and rachel (a young wwoofer from maryland) ran outside - impressively fast - and discovered the ice cream truck had just passed our appelfabriken home. so, of course, alex and i booted up and ran out with her to catch the truck turning around. it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to come face to face with a sweet swedish lady selling quite the variety of offerings. she was intent on pushing the 36 pack - equipped with pops like chocolate, pear, strawberry, and so much more...so we handed over our 100kr. yep. nothing like a cool ice cream pop in 40 degree weather. thanks sweden!



pictured: rosendals trädgård kafe / me & the ol'boy enjoying some sweet treats / picnic time with tiny flowers

yesterday, alex and i had our day off from wwoofing. so we headed on into stockholm to enjoy some city centered fun. once again, weather was on our side and the sunshine was plentiful. and yep, you guessed it, still cold! but as i've already mentioned, there's no stopping outside eating or picnic fun. so that's exactly what we did.

and here in sweden there's something called "Allemansrätt" which translates into "everyman's right". meaning, it's everyone's right to go as they please on the land. so you never have to worry you are treading on private property or roaming some place you shan't be - cause, it's encouraged to enjoy nature and get lost - because it's your land and my land...

hmm, sounds pretty familiar...oh wait, maybe it's because i grew up singing the classic - "This Land Is Your Land" (this song is actually what i had to sing to get into 5th grade chorus)

here are the original lyrics via wikipedia from 1944:
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.
As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me.
I roamed and I rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
While all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me.
When the sun came shining, and I was strolling
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
A voice was chanting, As the fog was lifting,
This land was made for you and me.
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

...as far as i know, the states haven't any "everyman's right rule". so, why did i grow up learning such a visionary tune? was it just about reflecting back on better times? a lesson in history? pride for our conquering nature? meaningless, yet catchy...

No comments:

Post a Comment