Tuesday, June 29, 2010

boy howdy...

was it hot, hot, hot today in treplin, germany. and lucky for us we got to be in the plastic tunnel! yippee.

and what better thing to do with your time than weed? and while i enjoy weeding, this was a whole new - sweaty - beast.

first up - we were instructed to "take away the small plants - you have to destroy them - because they are bad for the big plants" - direction from the apprentice here who must have thought we were complete american idiots for not knowing what a weed is.


pictured: plastic tunnel after weeding (just imagine the heat in there!)

next, we had to rip out and dig up lots and lots of grass that has moved inside the tunnel - because the water trickles down the sides - and grass is thirsty. this totally sucked. my hands, once again, have blisters. and my eyes were constantly stinking from the dirty sweat that would seep into my eye balls. not to mention - a bee constantly harassed me - landing on me several times (but luckily never stinging). mister apprentice man wasn't so lucky and got stung by a wasp today. but in his misfortune, i learned that to soothe a wasp/bee bite, you should put raw onion on it to suck the poison out. interesting!

and then after my underwear, socks, and even my jeans were completely soaked in sweat, we headed back to the cool lake for an afternoon swim. we also had a little raft - which i enjoyed more than swimming (lake water - when murky - sorta creeps me out) because i need to seriously give my legs some sun action. right now i look like two different people - some dark armed lady with white white legs. classic farmer's tan. cool!


pictured: alex refreshes // raft time // drowning?

No comments:

Post a Comment