Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You say hello I say goodbye…

a few sad goodbyes to the dear people of rosenhills and sad news kicked off yesterday morning. It had been an interesting last night in the caravan as I had been awoken several times at night to sounds I wasn’t sure were imaginary or real – like birds eating birds, hens crying, bears approaching, and cars parking and unloading. I had a slight nervous feeling, but it was quickly brushed aside as I decided to ignore my imagination and blame the subtle snore of alex as a bear growling.

And then morning came and we had our last breakfast with new friends and talked of the hen’s guardian – me – heading off and someone else needing to take over. I had even mentioned the dream/feeling I had had of the hens being attacked in the night – and how I didn’t wake up to save them (aka bad-guardian), Moments later the new guardian – florida girl accompanied by Johanna – went down to feed the hens. As they were doing this, I was collecting email address and shedding a few tears (as usual). But I needed johanna’s email. So, off I went to find her.

Slightly shocked she – in her collected, yet urgent way – said “the hens are dead!” I was shocked and had flashbacks to bears preying on the birds I had slightly been grossed out by, yet attached to. No, it wasn’t the doing of a bear…perhaps magpies, hawks, or the more likely – a fox – came in the middle of the night and killed the hens, taking as many as possible for it’s food (reminds me of fantastic mr. fox). Anyway, it was a sad morning – times two.

And then we set off on the nicest bus I’ve ever been in – swebus – to meet our new wwoofing farm and hosts. Swebus was not only clean, organized, and comfortable, but they had free wifi! And free wifi is one of those things I really like having, but after 10 minutes im snoozing like a new born babe. There’s just something so soothing about panoramic windows, green grass, and motor rumbles. In spurts of waking, I was able to catch the glorious fields of rapeseed – who’s seeds are used to make the most popular kind of cooking oil in Sweden. Brilliantly yellow and vast, these fields are something special.


No comments:

Post a Comment